[EM] strategy problem

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Aug 19 12:38:01 PDT 2003

Here's another possible solution:

All voters fill out ranked preference ballots.  In addition, each strategy
minded voter with the interest and patience fills out a supplemental
ballot, ranking pairs of candidates thusly:

{A,B}>{A,C}>{B,C}

[In the California gubernatorial race there would be lots of truncation.]

Use a respectable Condorcet method to pick a finalist pair from among
those so ranked.

Then use the standard ranked preference ballots to decide the election
between the two members of the finalist pair.

There could be some insincere rankings of the pairs on the supplemental
ballots, since even the most respectable Condorcet method is somewhat
vulnerable to manipulation, but no voter would have any incentive to rank
the candidates insincerely on their candidate ranking ballots, since these
ballots serve only to choose between the two finalists, and in no way
influence who those finalists will be.

The winner would be sincerely preferred over at least one other candidate.

Can any standard method guarantee this much?

Forest