[EM] serious strategy problem in Condorcet, but not in IRV?

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 19 12:36:06 PDT 2003

I understand but why burial strategy would be more damageable that
any defensive strategy ?
because it can lead to your disastrous C elected result ?
When you do such a behavioral study, you need to take in account human
behavior. Information about vote distribution is biased. Some persons do not
even know what they will vote for yet. In real life you would encounter every
cases: A>C>B, A=B>C, A>B?C so identifying all voters of the same opinion
would be very hard.  Even harder to regroup them or communicate which every
one.
And I do not speak about convincing them of the presicion of
your polls and the effect of your collective strategy... Finally, a lot of
people just
want to vote to express their will and they do not care about losing!

So I think electoral models using bullet votes are very more subject to
manipulation,
than Approval, and a lot more than ranking methods...

IMHO, FPTP allows manipulation attempts by one voter with a higher probability
of success
than other methods.

Steph