[EM] Re: serious strategy problem in Condorcet, but not in IRV?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon Aug 18 16:22:03 PDT 2003

David Gamble wrote
>However we shouldn't just sweep any system's flaws under the carpet and
>pretend they don't exist.

I agree; I think we should take them seriously and try to find the best
way to minimize or correct them. If they are serious enough and can't be
corrected, then it is practical to abandon the system altogether. This is
clearly the last thing I want to do in the case of Condorcet, but is
important to accept evidence against a conclusion that one already feels
strongly about.

>In real elections the kind of tactics James G-A is describing are
>unlikely (IMHO) to happen on a significant enough scale to effect the
>results.

I hope you are right.

>One final thought, if a flaw exists in an electoral system I do not
>consider it illegitimate to exploit that flaw. If you really want an
>effective way to prevent the manipulation of elections you could do what
>they do in France where the publication of opinion polls is banned in the
>two weeks? ( I'm not certain of the actual  time period) before an
>election.

So, if there was a law against political organizers directing people to
vote insincerely, would you also consider this to be an effective way to
prevent manipulation?

James