[EM] serious strategy problem in Condorcet, but not in IRV?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon Aug 18 13:16:28 PDT 2003

Paul writes,

>As soon as you get into "what the voters are doing... shouldn't be
>tolerated" you are arguing for a dictatorship approach.

It is not what the voters are doing that shouldn't be tolerated. What
shouldn't be tolerated is an attempt by party organizers to advocate an
insincere vote for strategic purposes. That is, telling a voter "vote
A>C>B whether you like C more than B or not, because our polls indicate
that it could create a Condorcet cycle which our man would win," etc.
Allowing people to coordinate their intentions like that is dangerous in
some of the same ways that price fixing is dangerous.

>If someone tells her to vote A>B>C and she decides to do so because she
>trusts that person's opinion, there is no fault to be found with anyone.

I reply,

I disagree, because the consequences of this, as in my example, are dire.

James