[EM] Eric Gorr and David Gamble's Running Debate:

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Thu Aug 14 06:22:06 PDT 2003

At 5:00 AM -0400 8/14/03, Donald Davison wrote:
>Eric Gorr and David Gamble's Running Debate:
>
>Eric Gorr wrote:  "For example, why is it the right thing for A to win in
>this case:   40 A     35 C > B     30 B   when clearly > 60% of the voters
>preferred B over A?"
>
>Donald here:  Dear Eric, you are in error.  What your example shows is that
>40 voters prefer A over B or C and that 30 Voters prefer B over A or C and
>that 35 Voters prefer C over A or B.
>
>The source of your error is that you are assuming Approval Voting as the
>standard to evaluate these ballots.

No, I was assuming no standard to evaluate these ballots.

I simply see that 60% of the people prefer B over A and yet IRV will
select A as the winner.

>D Gamble wrote:  "The example given by Eric is not that realistic ( it is
>not likely you would see such a vote set in a real election)."
>
>Eric Gorr:  "Is it really not realistic?"    [8/6/03]
>
>Donald:  Yes, it is really not realistic, `Let me count the ways.'
>
>First - It is unrealistic for you to assume that all the C voters will
>march lockstep and vote all together for candidate B as their second
>choice.

Again, it is a trivial matter to provide an example in which C voters
would not all march lockstep and still A would win even though the
majority prefer B.

>Second - It is unrealistic for you to assume that none of the B voters will
>make a lower choice in light of the fact that all the C voters ranked their
>candidate B as second choice.

Again, it is a trivial matter to provide an example in which B voters
would not all march lockstep and still A would win even though the
majority prefer B.

>Third - It is unrealistic for you to assume that none of the A voters will
>make a lower choice in light of the fact that the election is very close.

Again, it is a trivial matter to provide an example in which A voters
would not all march lockstep and still A would win even though the
majority prefer B.

At least two such 'more realistic' examples have already been given.
If you require more, they can be provided as well.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu