[EM] Ranking single-winner methods

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Thu Aug 7 23:51:01 PDT 2003

Stephane Rouillon wrote:

> Sorry I took CR for cumulative voting...
>
> Thus, IMHO:
>
> FPTP < Cumulative Voting < Borda < Approval < CR < IRV < Condorcet(s)
> [...]
> is not one of the criteria I value very much.  Somebody wanting a simple
> method more than anything else
> could take an exact reverse order than mine... Several person on this list
> said
> they prefer approval to IRV.

For a single winner:

Borda < Cumulative Voting < IRV < FPTP < CR < Condorcet < Approval

Notes:
(1) In a single-winner election, cumulative voting is equivalent to FPTP
in the same way that CR is equivalent to approval voting.  But I
down-ranked both CV and CR because they could encourage unsophisticated
voters such as Donald to use less-than-optimal strategies.  A voter who
is hell-bent in splitting his vote under FPTP or AV can always do so
statistically by voting randomly.

(2) I ranked IRV below FPTP partly because I consider IRV a strategic
detour which we would be better off avoiding.  I suppose if there were
absolutely no chance of anything better I might prefer IRV slightly to
FPTP, but for now I'd rather live with what we have in hopes of a more
effective reform.  I do not see any sense in using any of these methods
as stepping stones for other methods, since each of the multiple "steps"
could just as easily take as long as a direct jump to the preferred
method.

Bart