[EM] Re: Issues, Condorcet, and IRV (was: IRV vs. plurality)

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 6 14:36:06 PDT 2003

Adam Tarr said:
>>So Condorcet gives 2 of the 3 parties an incentive to "go 2D" in this
>> example, while IRV only gives 1 party an incentive to "go 2D" in this
>> model.
>
> Doesn't that constitute a strong argument for Condorcet, given your
> views?

Possibly.  The analysis I presented suggests that IRV will keep us in the
1D rut, and Condorcet _might_ get us out of the 1D rut, since IRV can
embrace competition in a 1D issue space, while Condorcet DEMANDS 2D issue
space for meaningful competition.

If Condorcet still fails to enlarge our issue space we have a choice:
Permanent centrist monopoly via Condorcet, or continued competition
between left and right via IRV, with the need to edge out the center
moderating them at least a little.  They have to go close enough to the
center to assure themselves more first-place votes.

I suspect that I'd still take the centrist monopoly, at least for a while.
 If the centrist monopoly grew stale and corrupt then that would introduce
a second axis to supplement the left-right division:  fresh vs. stale.

> Empirically, we know that politics tend to remain 1-D, with two dominant
>  parties, in IRV.  Maybe Condorcet would be different.  My intuition,
> and  your example. both suggest that Condorcet would lead to parties
> offering  different permutations of "left" and "right" viewpoints.

That's my hope too.  But the thought of centrist monopoly and the contrast
with IRV competition makes me slightly less hostile toward IRV now.  Don't
misunderstand me, I'm not going to join CVD or start reciting
anti-Condorcet mantras about "lower choices defeating higher choices."
I'm just seeing a new aspect to the situation.  A method can have a few
nice attributes and still be inferior to another method.  (I know,
somebody will soon post a vehement denial that IRV can ever have ANY nice
attributes.)

> PR, if adopted in the USA with large districts, would surely lead to
> some  Libertarian representatives.

I agree.  Hopefully it would also lead to a more moderate party in the
fiscally conservative/socially liberal mold.  For that matter, hopefully
it would also lead to a fiscally liberal/socially conservative party.
Having four political sectors instead of the same old left-right would be
far more interesting.

Alex