[EM] the name of the rose

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Aug 5 07:17:09 PDT 2003

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:46:31 -0400 James Green-Armytage wrote in part:

> Dear John Hodges, and other voting fans,
>
> you write:
>
>>Condorcet advocates might consider a name change; call it "tournament
>>runoff". At least some types of sports (Chess, Judo, maybe others)
>>hold tournaments where every contestant is paired off versus every
>>other in turn. It might be easier to sell the idea to the public if
>>you present it as a round-robin tournament between all candidates. If
>>one emerges undefeated from all possible two-person runoffs, they are
>>declared the tournament champion. If nobody is undefeated, then we
>>name ________________ as the tournament winner.
>>

> I reply:
>
> 	Yes, I've been thinking about this. Obviously the name "Condorcet's
> method" is woefully inadequate for any kind of slick public relations
> campaign in the US.
> 	The term "tournament voting" occurred to me. "Tournament runoff" may
> indeed make more sense than that.
> 	Another possibility is "pairwise voting," a term which is already used to
> some degree in theory circles, is somewhat descriptive of how the method
> works, and which has kind of a nice ring to it, also happening to contain
> the word 'wise,' which is a good association to make with Condorcet's
> method.

It is not too early to be considering a salable name, and of what I see
above I like "tournament voting" best, as it has meaningful content - each
of the pairs is playing a round in front of each voter.  By ranking the
candidates the voter is declaring round winners (and declaring ties among
candidates ranked identically, and among the candidates left unranked via
truncation).  Candidate winning the most rounds is winner within that pair.
      BTW - I say above that a voter can assign identical ranks when
multiple candidates are seen as equally deserving - I like that and see it
as both easily implementable and easily understandable (if X and Y are
ranked together by two voters, each gets credited with one win - unlike
truncated candidates who get no credit).
      If one candidate is winner against each other candidate, that
candidate wins the election.
      Otherwise we have a near tie among the three or more candidates that
sometimes beat each other but do all beat all candidates outside the
group.  Here we drop the pair race that came nearest a tie and pick the
election winner according to the other pair races.
      BTW -I do not use the word "runoff", and think it is best left out,
even though cycle resolution could be called a runoff.  We are determining
election winner from analyzing ALL that the voters say in a single
election, rather than simulating a runoff as IRV does (and rather than
ignoring part of what the voters say, as IRV often does).

"Condorcet's method"?  It still is, and should be referenced, POSITIVELY,
as such in any document with room for such detail.

"Pairwise voting"?  Partly it does not say as much to me; partly I
understand there are other methods based on pairs (probably other methods
that could claim the label "tournament" - can we be first to seriously
grab that label?

>>The blank must be filled in a way that is easily understood. Suppose
>>we said "the one who wins the greatest number of two-person runoffs".
>>

> 	I wouldn't want to compromise the completion method to make it more
> sellable. I would probably just fill in the blank by saying that the
> winner of a cycle is the one whose worst defeat is by the fewest number of
> points (Condorcet's own suggestion, equivalent to "sequential dropping,"
> or "successive reversal"), and then if anyone gets really interested (and
> when laws are being drafted and software written), I will add that the
> method should also be Schwartz-efficient and cloneproof. (Which would
> bring you to beatpath / CSSD... I'm not totally sure how you would sell
> ranked pairs in this way, but I'm sure it can be done if it turns out to
> be better.)

I tried to cover this above.  One detail I feel certain of - ALL WE HAVE
for analysis is the numbers in the pairs matrix (which could be for a
single precinct for a local election; for a whole state to elect a governor).

Some of the words I read in the above paragraph are proper for an election
methods discussion, but seem of little value in selling to voters.

--
davek at clarityconnect.com  http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
                  If you want peace, work for justice.