[EM] Request comments on MMP?

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 01:31:01 PDT 2003

Neal wrote
> I allocated the first (n-1) seats normally, then kept eliminating the
> candidate with the least votes until one candidate had at least 50% of
> the remaining votes. I gave that candidate the last seat. On reflection,
> I don't know if that's actually the correct method.

There is no "correct" method.  If you see this as the allocation of seats to parties, you could use
one of the rules already in use around the world.  Different rules can produce different results:
d'Hondt favours the larger parties, Sante-Lague favours the smaller parties, while modified
Sante-Lague tries to be neutral.  If you see this as the selection of candidates in accordance with
voters' preferences, the best you can do is identify the candidate who, after successive
eliminations, has as many or more votes than all the continuing candidates combined.  If you are
concerned about excluding "everyone's second choice" along the way, you could use the approach in
CPO-STV.
James