[EM] request for reading matter

John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net
Sun Aug 3 05:56:01 PDT 2003

I confess I am not so fluent in math as many here seem to be; though
I once held my own studying graduate-level economic theory, that was
20 years ago. My "comparative advantage" has been translating back
into English, so I do not get lost in the abstractions as some
theorists do.

Saari's critique of Approval (and some other systems) as being
indeterminate translates into the point that you cannot determine the
outcome solely from knowing the voters' ordinal preference rankings.
To predict a result, you have to know the rankings AND what strategy
the voters will use. Approval gives voters a wide range of possible
strategies, so it is more indeterminate than most. The argument loses
its force if there are simple strategies that generate good results.
I'm satisfied that there are such strategies for Approval. My
remaining concerns are about what results could be expected if some
fraction of voters were sufficiently ignorant and confused that they
did not know even those simple strategies.