[EM] How to convert a set of CR ballots to a set of Approval ballots

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Aug 3 02:06:02 PDT 2003

Forest,

First, I have some thoughts on the below:

 --- Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu> a écrit :
> Yes, Joe Weinstein's strategy is what I had in mind.

I'm starting to think that the method is not so much about what strategy is
used, as about the high quality of information that each voter effectively
ends up with.

For example, consider the "weak centrist" ABC scenario.  I've argued in the
past that, using "BTE" strategy, the two factions won't approve B if his
utility is below midrange.  (I don't believe Weinstein's strategy gives a
decisive recommendation in this case, because the perceived odds of A and C are
equal.)

But in MPCR:
48: A>B>C
3: B>_>AC
49: C>B>A
viabilities: A 96, B 103, C 98

new ballots:
48: AB>C
3: B>AC
49: C>BA
final score: A 48, B 51, C 49

Effectively what has happened is that the first faction has learned that they
do not have the votes.  With this knowledge, no strategy would suggest bullet-
voting for A.

> There are two reasons for this.
>[...]
> (2) Optimizing expected outcome pays off in the long run, but in the short
> run (one election) you really want to maximize the chance that your vote
> will make a positive difference.
>
> To see this suppose that you must choose between a 50% percent chance of
> winning a thousand dollars and a 1% chance of winning sixty thousand
> dollars.  If you had the opportunity to play this game an hundred times,
> you would choose the higher expectation choice every time.  But if it were
> a one time opportunity, and you desperately needed the thousand dollars to
> make ends meet, you would probably take the 50% chance.

I do want to say that, as far as Approval itself, I think this analogy is a bit
off.  If we desperately need to make ends meet, then the utilities of those
prizes should be fairly close, and "BTE" strategy would also recommend the
50% game.  So the analogy only translates to elections if the voters care more
about affecting the result (=="getting some money") than getting the best result.

Let me give an example.  Say there are three candidates: