[EM] serious strategy problem in Condorcet, but not in IRV?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sun Aug 17 14:12:01 PDT 2003

Dear election methods fans,

There is a fellow named Burt Monroe who has a theory that he calls "turkey
raising." I have read a sort of paper of his on the subject, called
"Raising Turkeys: An Extension and Devastating Application of
Myerson-Weber Voting Equilibrium." Looking back into the archives, I found
that Kevin brought the paper up in March, but nobody commented on it. I
don't know if it is on the web, but if anyone wants it, I can send it as
an attached pdf file.

I think that the paper overstates its case, and focuses mostly on voting
systems that nobody really pays attention to now, such as Borda, Nanson,
etc. However, I think that the central idea is worth taking quite
seriously.

The idea seems to be that methods that are sensitive to lower preferences
produce strategy incentives which can result in the likely election of a
candidate who has no sincere support at all, that is, who is ranked dead
last in every voter's sincere preferences.

Monroe says that a method which has this effect fails a criteria he has
made up, called NIA, or nonelection of irrelevant alternatives. According
to him, Condorcet methods fail this criteria, as does Borda, Coombs, and
some others, but it is passed by IRV / the alternative vote, approval
voting, plurality, and runoff. He looks at a bunch of different Condorcet
versions, none of which are beatpath or ranked pairs, but one of which is
Simpson, which to my knowledge is the same as minimax aka sequential
dropping aka successive reversal, and which is equivalent to beatpath and
ranked pairs in most simple cases.

My main concern at this point is with Condorcet and IRV. I have taken the
common wisdom that Condorcet is more resistant to strategy manipulation
than IRV, but this idea challenges that notion. I guess that my goal here
is to reaffirm it, or to accept that IRV is more strategy proof. I am
asking for all of your help in finding out which it is.

Without further ado, let me try to get into an example. This illustrates
my interpretation of the implications of the Monroe paper, which is not
necessarily the same as his intention, but which should be close enough
for starters.

Sincere preferences
46: A>B
44: B>A
5: C>A
5: C>B

It is extremely clear here that C seriously does not deserve to win, as he
is ranked last by 90% of the voters. Also, it is clear that A deserves to
win, albeit by a narrow margin.
Now, if the method is Condorcet (minimax, Schwartz / minimax, ranked
pairs, or beatpath), and if everyone voted sincerely, A would win.
However, if the 44 B>A voters strategically vote B>C (offensive order
reversal), a cycle is formed, in which the defeat of B is now the defeat
of least magnitude, and so B wins.

46: A>B
44: B>C
5: C>A