[EM] Nanson and Borda

Joseph Malkevitch joeyc at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Sun Aug 10 10:33:11 PDT 2003

If one uses preferential ballots where there is no indifference allowed
in ranking the candidates, and if one gives points to the candidates
where the number of points that candidate i gets for a particular ballot
is the number of candidates ranked below candidate i on that ballot,
then this is what I will mean by the Borda Count. If one "sequentially"
eliminates candidates based on currently having the lowest Borda count,
and eliminates that candidate from the ballots and recomputes the Borda
Count until one obtains a winner, this is what I will mean by Nanson's
Method.

Borda, J-C, Memoire sur les elections au Scrutin, Memoires of the Royal
Academy of Sciences (1781)

Nanson, E., Methods of Election, Trans. Proc. Royal Society of Victoria
18 (1882) 197-240.

(See also, I. McLean and A. Urken, Classics of Social Choice, U.
Michigan Press, 1995).

It turns out that if there is a Condorcet winner for the original
ballots that Nanson's method will select this Condorcet winner.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joseph Malkevitch