[EM] Condorcet 2 - The Sequel ( the same people say the same things)

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 14:49:01 PDT 2003

Why the unrealistic example is unrealistic:

40A
35C>B
30B

This example is not realistic because it is extremely unlikely that all the
supporters of one party would express a second preference whilst none of the
supporters of the two other parties would.

Why this example is not  that unrealistic:

49 A>B>C
3  B>A>C
48 C>B>A

Bedfordshire South-West
British General Election 2001

Conservative         42.1%
Liberal Democrat   14.8%
Labour                 40.4%
Other                    2.7%

In every British general election since Feb 1974 you could probably find
approximately 100 similar results ( out of 635- 659 constituencies).

Adam Tarr quoted me as stating in response to:

40A
35C>B
30B

> "IRV succeeds, I believe, in striking a balance between the two somewhat
> conflicting aims of ensuring that a candidate has majority support ( a
> candidate does not win with a minority of the vote because the opposition is split) "

You appear to have quoted only part of the sentence and in doing so have
altered its meaning

IRV succeeds, I believe, in striking a balance between the two somewhat
conflicting aims of ensuring that a candidate has majority support ( a candidate
does not win with a minority of the vote because the opposition is split) and
preventing dominance by candidates/parties who position themselves in the
centre.

If you consider the example

10% FarRight>Right>Centrist>Left>FarLeft
10% Right>FarRight>Centrist>Left>FarLeft
15% Right>Centrist>FarRight>Left>FarLeft
16% Centrist>Right>Left>FarRight>FarLeft
15% Centrist>Left>Right>FarLeft>FarRight
13% Left>Centrist>FarLeft>Right>FarRight
11% Left>FarLeft>Centrist>Right>FarRight
10% FarLeft>Left>Centrist>Right>FarRight

Considering the electorate as 3 factions- Right 35%, Centre 31%, Left 34% IRV
is doing exactly what I want it to do - preventing Centrist dominance.

Under Condorcet the only way the Right or Left factions could win is if they
obtained 50%+ of the first preference vote. I am prepared to live with the
possibility of your example if it prevents Right 42%, Centre 17%, Left 41% with
the Centre winning.

David Gamble