[EM] Re: Condorcet elimination PR

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 1 12:22:01 PDT 2003

James G-A,
Further  on the subject of my proposal  to modify STV-PR by , after
transfering supluses, eliminating the Condorcet loser among those votes
and fractions of votes not tied up in quotas: I am afraid I have
discovered that this method fails FBC (Favourite Betrayal Criterion).
To demonstrate the problem, I have slightly modified your example by
introducing  candidate X.

300 votes,  3 seats,  Droop quota = 75.

74   A B C D X E
39   B A C D X E
75   C
37   D X E C B A
73   E D X C B A
  2   X E D C B A

Compared to your example, all that has changed is that X has  stood and
taken  2 first preference votes from D and has occupied  the runner-up
Condorcet loser position. The result, CBD, is unchanged.
The problem is that if  those 2  X  supporters had reversed their top
two preferences, then E would have got a quota and the result would have
been CEB. By insincerely down-ranking their favourite, those two voters
could have caused their second prefernce to be elected instead of their
third.
I'd be surprised if  this sort of problem is completely avoidable with
ranked-ballot PR. Do you know how "Sequential STV" and "CPO-STV" fare in
this respect?

Chris Benham