[EM] Issues, Condorcet, and IRV (was: IRV vs. plurality)

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Wed Aug 13 07:50:10 PDT 2003

Eric Gorr writes:
>If a voter sets the cutoff in the wrong spot and approves and option
>they really did not want to see win, but then causes that option to
>win, they have made the result worse from their point of view.

I don't think so, assuming that they will also be approving all of the
candidates whom they like better than that candidate. So the addition of
their ballot won't help the less-liked candidate beat any of the
more-liked candidates -- it will be neutral in that regard. Thus it will
make the outcome neither better nor worse from their point of view.

James