[EM] IRV in action

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 6 16:07:02 PDT 2003

--- Markus Schulze
<markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I guess that for every reasonable method there are
> situations where
> "bullet voting" is a useful strategy. I guess that
> when IRV is being
> used and there are three potential winners, then
> each party will
> ask their supporters to bullet vote.

In Australia, usually, two of the parties get together
and ask their supporters to give preferences to the
other.  This leaves the third party out in the cold.

NB.  In federal elections, bullet voting is not an
option, but in NSW state elections, where optional
preferential voting is used, the above practive still
occurs.

If all three parties start out equal, forming such an
arrangement raises the chance of winning from 1/3 to
1/2.

Anthony