[EM] Alphabetical ballot

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 21 16:16:14 PDT 2002

> C(A)>E(B)=H(B)>F(C)>A(E)|>D?G>I(F)>B(H)
> We would just need to explain to voters what an
> absence of grade means...

However, if there is
only one non-voted candidate then a ballot using '?' will not identify
erm.

------

Matt, yes there will be no ? identifying the ungraded candidate, but we
do not care because we explained previously to voters if we were to
place
him just after the cut-off...
Thus voting C(A)>E(B)=H(B)>F(C)>A(E)|D(?)>I(G)>B(H)
or C(A)>E(B)=H(B)>F(C)>A(E)|D(F)>I(G)>B(H) is equivalent to me.
If you really want to register how it was marked you can use the first
notation that explicitly puts D(?) like we could write ... | D(?) = G(?)

I can leave with placing (?) after the cut-off, but I find placing them
at the
end more natural like the usual truncation means with a preferential
ballot.

Finally why use a grade ballot to rank n candidates?
Because it allows doing the job with n answers instead of n*(n-1)/2...

Steph.

----