[EM] Alphabetical ballot

matt at tidalwave.net matt at tidalwave.net
Sat Sep 21 08:30:30 PDT 2002

On 20 Sep 2002 at 19:49, Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon wrote:
> An example of completed ballot:
> Shade at Most One Grade per Candidate
> And Indicate your Limit (|) Between Acceptable and Undesirable Candidates:
> |
> Amy Jones AB C D# | F GH I
> Barbara Smith A BC D E |F G #I
> Charles Jones #B C DE | F GH I
> Daniel Smith AB C DE | F GH I
> Eve JonesA # CD E | FG H I
> Fibbie Smith AB # DE | F GH I
> Georges Jones AB C DE | F GH I
> Harry Smith A# C DE | F GH I
> Isabel JonesA B CD E | #G H I
> |
> that we would translate as:
> Charles(yes) > Eve(yes) = Harry(yes) > Fibbie(yes) > Amy(yes) > Isabel(no) > Barbara(no) >
> Daniel(no) ? Georges(no)

Your translation loses the extra information made available by grading that is useful
for accurately summing ballots.  There are at least two alternatives: Use a dummy
place holder candidate (an underline character) or place the grade in the
paranthesis.  And since we have the approval cutoff (which is indicated by the bar
after the last approved candidate in the ballot) we may as the well place the
unranked candidates just after the cutoff in the ballot:
C(A)>E(B)=H(B)>F(C)>A(E)|>D?G>I(F)>B(H)

The place holder method is more compact and easier to read.  Ballots with unlike
rankings (different grade sets) can now be fairly combined which is my
understanding of the primary benefit of using grades.  Some tallying methods may
want to count '=' differently than '?', for example count as '=' 1/2 vote each but '?' as
zero vote each, so it may be useful even if negative votes is not a good idea.

----