[EM] Ranked-pairs indetermination

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat Sep 14 13:59:17 PDT 2002

Dear Steph,

you wrote (14 Sep 2002):
> First I need to know how we treat an indetermination.
> With 3 candidates and 2 voters, who win(s) such cases:
> A and BAC ? Tie A=B or A wins?

Candidate C is not in the Smith Set. Therefore, (when the
used election method meets LIIA) candidate C must not
influence the result of the elections. When we substract
candidate C, then one voter votes AB and one voter votes BA.
Therefore, (when the used election method also meets anonymity
and neutrality) there is an exact tie between candidate A
and candidate B.

Markus Schulze

----