[EM] Ranked-Pairs needs a new name

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 14:14:54 PDT 2002

Mike O. has identified yet another instance of a problem which afflicts much
EM terminology:  a method being given a name which in no wise uniquely
describes the method, i.e. serves in terms of literal meanings to
differentiate it from other quite different methods.

For creating good workable names, we might do well to use Aristotle's basic
two-part genus-species approach, in fact to use it twice.  First, use a
first part of the name to indicate how a voter may MARK the ballot, and use
a second part of the name to indicate how the aggregate of ballots are to be
SCORED or evaluated so as to derive the winner(s).  Second, as needed, use
'genus' and 'species' terms within each of the parts.

In terms of MARK and SCORE specifications, Condorcet methods are those
wherein MARK calls for 'ranking' and SCORE includes the constraint: to take
the Condorcet winner if one exists.

I agree with what I take to be Josh's point: the present 'public' hardly
cares about our terminology.  But nonetheless we should care about keeping
straight our own terms and (thereby) thoughts.  This may help to abate
confusion within a broader future public.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA

PS - AGAIN FOR MIKE.  Again, Hotmail - rightly or wrongly - says your
storage limit is exceeded so that I may not send a copy of this directly to
you.  -  Joe