[EM] party co-operation on electoral reform

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:22:50 PDT 2002

Here's basically seconding Mike O.:

In terms of the substantive messages from today's parties, my political mix
rates close to 3/4  Green,  1/4 Libertarian !!  (By way of comparison, what
substantive messages are we getting from either of the big two parties?)
But how can the Libertarians (or any minority party) pretend to be 'for
real' in electoral politics without being keenly interested in reforming the
unfairly antagonistic electoral rules? and therefore being ready and indeed
eager for common action with other victims of these rules?

Mike speaks of electoral reform to get 'adequate democracy'.  By way of
caution, in my opinion 'adequate democracy' will not follow just from having
even an excellent mass-election method.  The better and eventual expedient
is a true democracy in which no citizens are 'more equal than others':
wherein decisions will not require mass elections at all, because they will
be made not by special long-term-serving (and therefore readily corruptible)
oligarchic officers (elected or otherwise) but by deliberations of
short-term-serving randomly chosen problem-solving teams (or 'juries' or
'panels' or 'seminars') of ordinary citizens.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA

PS FOR MIKE - My Hotmail email program advises me that currently your
Hotmail inbox is overflowing, and that therefore I am disallowed from
sending you directly a copy of this message.  I hope that somehow you can
soon clear your Hotmail inbox, or start up an alternative channel!

Joe