[EM] Ranked-Pairs needs a new name

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 6 23:16:33 PDT 2002

This is my 2nd attempt to send this letter. The 1st time, I accidentally
pressed some key in the bottom row of the keyboard, and the letter
disappeared from the screen.

To the extent that "Ranked-Pairs" is a descriptive name for the
method that we call by that name, "Ranked-Pairs" is also a descriptive
name for all the Condorcet versions. All the Condorcet versions
solve circular ties based on the order of strengths of the pairwise
defeats.

When proposing RP to the public, then, might it not be better to use
a genuinely descriptive name? I don't have a good suggestion for
a new name--I just have suggestions like:

"Keep-Unnullified-Defeats" (KUD).

Steve Eppley wrote a descriptive
name for RP. MTM stood for "Minimize Thwarted Majorities", a name
based on the goal-based definition of RP.

Mike Ossipoff