[EM] Strong FBC Can Be Satisfied By Ranked Methods! (sort of)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Oct 31 17:44:40 PST 2002

Alex, it seems to me that if only the first two ranks get points, then in
a close race among several candidates if your favorite isn't among the top
three contenders with near equal chances, you may want to give the top to
slots on your ballot to your preferred among the top three contenders.

To be more specific, suppose that A,B, and C are approximately equal in
the polls, and way ahead of everybody else including your favorite F, and
that your true preference order is

F>A>B>...>>C

Wouldn't it be better strategy to vote

A>B>F>... ?