[EM] Probability of losing a sincere Cond. Winner

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 25 08:47:26 PST 2002

Adam --

I have very well understood you define a strong CW as having
more than 50% votes against any other candidate.

I made more comparative study of both ideal scenarios....

With my scenario, I would need to track and convince 11% of the 18%
potential truncaters in order to steal the strongly supported CW with
(wv)
(more than half).

With your scenario, you would need to track and convince 47% of the 49%
potential truncaters in order to steal the poorly supported CW with (rm)

and 48% of the 49% potential truncaters (almost all of them) in order to

steal the poorly supported CW with (margins).

It modifies the odds of an unsincere truncation, don't you think so?

But it dazzled me: almost all of the potential truncaters needed to
steal a strongly supported CW. You are right he is strong!

But again it depends on the criteria: if we compare the strongness of
the CW to
its stealer opponent using the other criterias, it is reversed.
Your "strong" CW has only a sloppy 2% margin advance over its potential
stealer.
Other margins in the scenario are greater.
My "weak" CW has 10 points of advance before losing its winning votes
duel.
Others advance are the same.

Your "strong" CW can get stolen by removing a huge support he had
against a third
candidate. My "weak" CW can get defeated by removing some of the direct
support
he had over its potential stealer.
How would these scenarios behave when candidates and voters increase in
number?
I do not know yet.

But it seems poorly-supported and strongly supported CW is a relative
definition
that can depend on the criteria too...

Steph.