[EM] More Condorcet Flavored PR examples

matt at tidalwave.net matt at tidalwave.net
Wed Nov 20 17:10:01 PST 2002

On 20 Nov 2002 at 14:11, Forest Simmons wrote:
> Suppose that a voter ranks six candidates as follows in a three seat multiwinner race:
>                 A1>B1>B2>A2>A3>B3 .
> Which of the following two outcomes would this voter be most likely to prefer?
> (1) The A team {A1,A2,A3} wins. (2) The B team {B1,B2,B3} wins.
> ...the Condorcet spirit seems to dictate the choice of the higher median subset, since
> the one  with the higher median has more pairwise wins (relative to the ballot).

Using the PERL scripts found at http://condorcet-dd.sourceforge.net/ I ran
ballot2tally.pl with the voted ballot list 20:A1>B1>B2>A2>A3>B3 as the input. Then I
ran option2outcome.pl --size 3 followed by Condorcet_DD.pl with all tie-breakers
turned off.  The results were {A1,A2,A3} tied for sixth place with {A3,B1,B2} while
{B1,B2,B3} tied for seventh place with {A2,A3,B1} and {A1,A2,B3}.  So your
assumption that Condorcet dictates choice of the higher median subset was not true
here.  First place was {A1,B1,B2} (of course), second place was {A1,A2,B1}, tied for
third was {A1,A3,B1} and {A1,A2,B2}, tied for fourth was {A1,A3,B2} and {A1,B1,B3}
and tied for fifth was {A2,B1,B2} and {A1,B2,B3}.

----