[EM] Greetings! and an update

Douglas Greene douggreene at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 20 19:29:06 PST 2002

NYS Assemb. Fred Thiele (R-Southhampton) is circulating a draft IRV bill.

It calls for giving local governments the option of using IRV.  If anyone is
interested, I can post or mail privately the text.

I have floated the idea of allowing local governments to choose among
single-winner election methods, but was shot down by both the state and
federal IRV advocates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the case for choice to Greens?

I attended a forum on restructuring the NYS Board of Elections on Monday
night.  The focus was on election administration, but there were a few pro-IRV
speakers.

But it was all worth it to meet a range voting/CR advocate (though he called
it "rate-ALL-the candidates")who grew up in my village.

He wasn't familiar with Smith's work on the topic, but I e-mailed him my
copies.  Which have also been uploaded to our Yahoo! Group.

One bridge I am successfully building is on PR.  The redistricting outcomes in
NYS have been so destructive, and I'd like to try and assemble an estimate of
what the NYS legislature and US House might resmble under PR.  Any ideas?
Thanks!

Doug

----