[EM] More on Gerrymander prevention

Jurij Toplak jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Thu Mar 21 12:08:26 PST 2002

Thanks for explanation :) No, Slovenia did not apply my method in the law
yet. I just applied it to our territory in my thesis. However, if the
Constitutional Court sais that I am right, we will see what will happen.
What I expect is that they will say that the present district plan is
malapportioned and the parliament will form a commission to develop a new
plan. Since I am he only person researching malapportionment and
gerrymandering issues in Slovenia (remember, we are a small country)
probably I will be one of the members of this commission and then I will try
to force through my method.

Presently Slovenia is divided into 8 11-member districts. The deviation is
about 6% from the average district. That means that the largest district is
about 12% larger than the smallest district. Since districts are 11-member
the deviation 10% means that a deviation of one whole representative. In US
the permitted deviation at state-level and at local-level is about 10%.
However, your districts are singlemember. 10% in a singlemember district
means 10% of a representative while in an 11-member district 10% means one
whole representative. Therefore I think our redistricting scheme is
malapportioned.

Jure
ps. If my English was fluent you would not misunderstand me, right? And if
my English was fluent I would not misanderstand Josh either :)))