[EM] Instant 2-stage plurality/pairwise runoff

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 20:26:55 PST 2002

Adam Tarr (last name?):

It is not quite so obvious that the Instant 2-stage plurality/pairwise runoff,
or "instant two stage runoff" (ITTR), is better that IRV, overall. I am still
waiting for the mathematical proof, and quantification of the different
properties. If that is ever possible, it should be possible to quantify and
prove the differences between these particular 2 voting methods, as they are as
similar as can be.

I must point out that the IRV is more likely to choose the Condorcet Winner
when that candidate is not among the top 2 plurality vote getters. In such a
case, the CW's chances are ZERO with the ITTR, but they are much better than
that with the IRV. On the other hand, if the Condorcet Winner is among the top
2 plurality vote getters, the CW's chances are much better than zero with the
IRV. So, you see, it is not quite so obvious as it seemed at first blush that a
Condorcet Winner's chances are better with the ITTR than with IRV. Furthermore,
remember that the two methods are identical with 3 candidates. It may be that
the more candidates you have the less likely it is that the CW will be among
the top 2 plurality vote getters. Can somebody prove one of these 2 methods is
better than the other in any of these respects? I have already proven
(informally and in my own mind, at least) that the IRV is less manipulable than
the traditional (non-instant) 2-stage plurality/pairwise runoff with 4 or more
candidates, but I don't know how the instant version of that method compares to
IRV in that respect. I suspect that IRV is less manipulable than ITTR, too,
simply because it potentially involves more stages, and is, thus, more
complicated and harder to predict. Anyway, the comparison of these 2 instant
runoff methods seems to merit some attention, don't you think? Formal proofs
and illustative examples can be very useful and convincing.

SB

PS: Can we leave the Approval Vote method out of this, for now?