Rob LG's definitions

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 13:41:49 PST 2002

Mike wrote:
> So Rob LG believes that Schulze's method is SSD?
> BeatpathWinner is equivalent to Cloneproof SSD.
> Cloneproof SSD is a modification of SSD. SSD never meant
> Cloneproof SSD. And Schulze's method isn't BeatpathWinner anyway.
> Markus made it clear that Schulze's method considers a tie to be
> a defeat. A tie can serve as a defeat in a "beatpath", which
> should, in Schulze's method, be called a "beat-or-tie path". That
> is why Schulze's method isn't the same as BeatpathWinner.

Yes, Schulze's Method is what I would call Schulze(wtv), as opposed to
Schulze(m) (what Blake called Path Voting) and Schulze(wv) (what Mike calls
BeatpathWinner).  I use the name Schulze to refer to this class of methods.  I
realize that SSD is not strictly equivalent to Cloneproof SSD, which is
equivalent to BeatpathWinner, but I associated SSD with Schulze since I didn't
consider the distiction important to make in the context of that post.

> And Rob LG says that PC is Simpson's method. Does that refer to
> the Simpson-Kramer method, as defined in the Winter '95
> _Journal of Economic Perspective_? That method is not the PC that
> I defined when I defined PC.

Similarly, I use Simpson to define a class of methods that are all equivalent
when there are no tied preferences.  Simpson(m) is what Blake calls Minmax and
Simpson(wv) is what Mike calls PC.  I mentioned these terms in that post
because it's the terminology that I use at my online voting calculator.  At
http://www.onr.com/user/honky98/rbvote/desc.html you can find my informal
definitions of the methods used.  Please let me know if you find any errors on
that page.

=====
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org