[EM] Margins vs Winning Votes

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:36:01 PST 2002

Markus said:

I agree with you. It is very problematic that RP and SSD are currently
discussed as if RP could be used only with margins and SSD could be used
only with winning-votes. (Actually, it seems to me that Adam Tarr really
believes that.)

I reply:

RP is proposed only with margins. SSD is proposed only with winning
votes. Cloneproof SSD and BeatpathWinner are only proposed for
winning votes. Those latter 3 methods are defined in terms of winning
votes, and to use them with any other measure of defeat would
amount to using another method, a method not covered by those
methods' definitions.

Schulze's method isn't BeatpathWinner. Schulze's method allows
ties in a beatpath, and so it can't be called BeatpathWinner,
but is more of a Beat-&-Tie-Path-Winner method. And likewise,
Schulze's method can't be called a winning votes method, since
it uses tied votes too.

Mike Ossipoff