[EM] 06/11/02 - FWD of Mike Saari's letter:

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Tue Jun 11 02:06:29 PDT 2002

06/11/02 - FWD of Mike Saari's letter:

  ------------- 1 of 2 Forwarded Letters ------------
From: Saari at aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:20:22 EDT
Subject: Re: 06/05/02a - An Advanced Variant of An Established Election Method:
To: donald at mich.com

I note an "incorrect" outcome that results from an extremely simple situation
with only two candidates - nearly all proposed voting systems (including
every known "ranked" voting system) are susceptible to this problem.

Assume two candidates, "A" and "C".
Candidate "C" is well-liked by 100% of the voting population. - the honest
opinion of each voter regarding this candidate
(using a subjective scale ---, --, -, 0, +, ++, +++) is "++" or "very good".
Candidate "A" is even better-liked by 60% of the population - their honest
rating of this candidate is "+++" or "excellent".
But the other 40% honestly rate candidate "A" as "--" or "awful".

In other words,
                A           C
     60%     excellent   verygood
     40%     awful       verygood

Under most voting systems (including all "ranked" voting systems), 60% of the
voters choose "A" and 40% choose "C".

"A" wins 60-40, and 40% of the group is pissed.

If "C" had been chosen as the winner by a given system, all of the voters
would have been pretty satisfied even though many didn't get their top choice.

I claim that any voting system which chooses "A" in this situation is broken
and should be discarded as unsuitable for the "best overall good".  This is
one of my three "Litmus Tests" for a rational group decision method.

What do you think?  Do you agree that your system chooses "A" in this
situation?  And do you agree that it's the poorer outcome?

Mike

 -------------- 2 of 2 Forwarded Letters -------------