[EM] What are we all about?

Douglas Greene douggreene at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 23 09:36:02 PDT 2002

I'm so grateful for this list.

The fact that there are other electoral methods thinkers and
activists out there besides the Greens and CVD was a blessing.  I
thought I was a freak, a crank for thinking to myself, "IRV sure
sounds interesting and better than plurality, but aren't there other
methods too?  What about their merits and flaws?"

But is that enough?  Is that all that there is, Alfie?

I attended the LP National Convention in Indianapolis earlier this
month.  Someone from the TX delegation told me that they thought Rob
LeGrand was there, but that was errata.

Paul Hager was there, and quoted in the local daily trashing the LP,
now that he's a Republican.

Well, let's see what position they're taking on election methods.  I
introduced an amendment to the new language of the electoral
platform plank to strike "IRV" and substitute "alternative single
winner election methods."  Neutrality.  This was unacceptable to
Bill Redpath, a long time VA activist and Platform Committee member
who has been focused on IRV and PR for a long, long time.

My amendement failed on a voice vote and we walked the CVD plank of
IRV and PR by a narrow margin.

They have a new book, media appearances and a highly probable
victory in AK forthcoming next month.

I fear we are in imminent danger of becoming the Locofocos of the
electoral reform movement.

Doug

----