[EM] Condorcet Criterion definitions (was Markus' Econometrica reference...)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Jan 31 08:23:28 PST 2002

Quoting Blake from below:

 > But for reasonable people, the objective proof of a method passing a
 > criterion has to be supplemented by an argument for why they should
 > care.  So, the question is, if you want to make a Condorcet-based
 > argument against plurality, is this simplified by the whole sincere-CC
 > issue.  I don't believe it is. I don't feel that strongly about it,
 > though.

My head swims with all the formality and "sincerity".  However, as a voter
I often have two desires:
      Of the two major candidates I expect one to win, and I have some
desire to make sure the "better" one wins.
      There are one or more other candidates that I LIKE, and want to help
show their popularity, even though I expect them to lose.

In plurality I have a dilemma - I cannot back both desires, so I must
settle for whichever I consider to be most important.

In Condorcet I can list, in order by preference, as many candidates as I
choose (perhaps limited by ballot design):
      List my preference in major candidates, perhaps listing the other as
less liked.
      List the candidates I especially LIKE.
      If there are candidates I abhor, list every candidate except them -
essentially voting against them.

I choke on IRV.  In a 2-party environment the major candidates usually get
most of the votes and the results are identical with Condorcet.  Start a
multiparty environment with ranked ballots and I expect 3-way races
sometimes, with IRV sometimes DISpleasing me.

I choke on approval.  I have to put in about as much effort as with
Condorcet but cannot say as much, and have trouble deciding at what point
above abhor a candidate deserves listing as approved.

I have limited tolerance for the complexities some theorists propose:
      I choke on anything hard to understand in public elections such as
for governor.
      I am more tolerant in societies, including electing directors of
a corporation - whatever MOST of the voters are willing and able to
understand and use.

Dave Ketchum

--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026