[EM] Consensus?: IRV vs. Primary w/Runoff

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Tue Jan 29 20:41:41 PST 2002

If talking about local non-partisan elections, I don't see much
difference.  Really, the math of IRV is so complex I don't see how you
can make many claims about it either way vs. a system as similar as
two-round runoff.  One drawback of IRV is the possibility of a
paradoxical outcome following a recount, or after including absentee
ballots.  This is not possible with two-round runoff because the runoff
election generally occurs well after any disputes from the first
election are settled.

With partisan elections, the primary functions as a fairly effective
clone-elimination step, probably more effective than a plain runoff.

Bart Ingles