[EM] "Random Candidate" & "Random Dictatorship"

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 17 13:33:22 PST 2002

Dear Steve,

you wrote (17 Jan 2002):
> Well, I guess you are referring to tie breaking situations. It is
> interesting to note that the Borda Count method yields the fewer
> ties of any other pairwise or positional (weighed) voting method.

Sometimes there are situations where you have to decide whether
you sacrifice decisiveness or local independence from irrelevant
alternatives or where you have to decide whether you sacrifice
decisiveness or independence from clones. Of course, it is
rather subjective what should be sacrificed in these situations.
However, to my opinion, local independence from irrelevant
alternatives and independence from clones are more important
than decisiveness.

Markus Schulze