[EM] FEC-- VOLS. I & II OF VOTING SYSTEMS STANDARDS

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 22:53:02 PST 2002

http://www.fec.gov/press/121101vss.html

News Releases, Media Advisories

For Immediate Release
December 11, 2001
Contact:
Ron Harris
Ian Stirton
Kelly Huff

COMMISSION SEEKING PUBLIC COMMENT
ON VOLS. I & II OF VOTING SYSTEMS STANDARDS

WASHINGTON –
The Federal Election Commission on December 13 [2001] will issue
for public comment two volumes of voluntary standards for computer-based
voting systems. When finalized next year, these systems standards will
assist states in administering future elections.

The primary goal of the standards is to provide a mechanism to assure
the integrity of computer-based election systems. Although that goal has
remained unchanged since 1990 (when the FEC’s Office of Election
Administration first published national voluntary standards), the
methods for achieving it have broadened over the last decade, with the
2000 election year creating additional impetus.

FEC Chairman Danny L. McDonald noted, “When finalized, these
complementary volumes of systems standards will be an invaluable tool
and guide. To that end, I urge the public, particularly election
officials and system vendors, to offer comments and suggestions so we
can proceed expeditiously toward the goal of solving many of the
technical problems in election administration. By working together, we
can move swiftly to provide an election-day environment ensuring the
effective franchise of all voters.”

The proposed standards are intended as guidelines for states and voting
system vendors, and final issuance is expected in the Spring of 2002.
Volume I is being reissued for another phase of public review after
incorporating hundreds of suggestions received earlier this year. Volume
II has not been released previously and the FEC is soliciting comments
from the public, vendors, elections officials, and other interested
parties. Public input is due on or before February 1, 2002.

           Highlights of the draft standards include:

           -- Revised standards provide a common set of requirements
across all voting technologies, using technology-specific requirements
only where essential to address the specified technology’s impact on
voting accuracy, integrity, and reliability.

           -- System specific (software) standards are defined for
ballot counting, vote processing, the creation of an unalterable audit
trail, and the generation of output reports and files, with systems
having the capability to monitor overvotes and undervotes.

           -- Performance requirements are defined for voting systems to
meet the specific needs of voters with disabilities.

-- Performance requirements are defined for the content and labeling of
data provided to the media and other organizations (in reports, data
files, or postings to official Web sites) prior to the canvass and
certification of election results.

           -- Conclusion that controls cannot be developed at the
present time to make remote Internet voting sufficiently risk-resistant
to be confidently used by election officials and the voting public,
therefore standards cannot be written for the testing and qualification
of these systems.

           Comments are due on or before February 1, 2002, and should be
directed to the Office of Election Administration, Federal Election
Commission, 999 E St. NW, Washington, DC, 20463. Faxed comments should
be sent to 202-219-8500, and electronic comments to vss at fec.gov.  Full
text of the VSS draft standards may be found at www.fec.gov. Paper
copies and CD-ROM may be requested through the FEC Press Office.

#  #   #

Advisory to Editors/Reporters/Correspondents:

          The VSS draft Notice for Comment will be addressed at
Thursday’s (Dec. 13) public session of the Federal Election Commission,
999 E. St., 9th floor. The meeting begins at 10 a.m., and this agenda
item is slated for discussion at approximately 10:45 a.m. FEC principals
and others involved in the VSS Standards project will be available for
questions immediately following the discussion of the VSS Notice for
Comment.