[EM] simultaneous & secret

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:02:46 PST 2002

Richard wrote:

I think it would be best if
the criterion itself specifies that the ballots are simultaneous and
secret, at least in the English definition.

I reply:

Maybe, but my concern would be that then someone could make a case for
saying
that FBC doesn't apply to all voting systems. I like to say that, as far as
I know,
my criteria apply to all usable methods. Someone could argue that a
different balloting
process makes a different voting system, one to which FBC no longer applies,
if
FBC only applies when ballots are simultaneous & secret.

Anyway, though that change may be right for an official version, it would
lengthen
& complicate the public-debate version, since people would wonder why it's
necessary
to specify about ballots being simultaneous & secret. For effect, the fewer
"ifs" the
better, in public debate.

Mike Ossipoff

Mike Ossipoff