[EM] Smith Sets with >3 members

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Feb 26 14:47:17 PST 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Markus Schulze wrote:

> Dear Alex,
>
> methods that always choose one of the candidates with
> the largest number of pairwise victories are called
> "Copeland methods". The main problem of Copeland methods
> is that they are manipulable by clones in a very
> straight forward manner.

It seems to me that another problem of Copeland methods is that they
encourage favorite betrayal in the same way IRV does: if your compromise
has a better chance of winning the election than your favorite, but your
favorite has a good chance of beating your compromise, then you (and like
minded voters) vote your compromise above your favorite to maximize your
compromise's chance of getting one more win.

Forest