[EM] Winning-votes intuitive?

Blake Cretney bcretney at postmark.net
Thu Feb 21 17:12:13 PST 2002

Adam Tarr wrote:

> This is a totally reasonable strategic truncation on the part of the
> Bush camp.  They have nothing to lose, since Nader is a sure loser
> anyway, and the election to gain.  If these people vote Gore second
> (which is their obvious second choice) then all they do is make Gore
> the Condorcet winner and hand him the election.  Why would they do
> this?  Moreover, it is not a tough sell to make Bush voters leave off
> a second preference; most of them probably don't like the idea of
> voting for Gore anyway.

So, is the point of your example that the Bush voter's are dishonest
then?  Because if you just judge by the votes you give, without any
preconceptions about what Bush voters would really prefer, I think it is
obvious that Bush really does deserve to win in your example.

But as for the strategy argument, my response is as follows.  Let's
imagine that some voters aren't aware that they are allowed to vote a
partial ranking.  Then, they will have to randomly rank candidates
instead of placing them as equal.  On average, these random votes will
tend to cancel each other out, with an effect as if they had voted in
margins.  So in margins, knowing that they are allowed to vote partial
rankings doesn't give a new opportunity for strategy that did not exist
before.

However, if you count ballots in a way that tends to penalize those who
vote partial rankings, which SSD does, the voters would actually be
better off believing that they aren't allowed to vote partial rankings,
since this will cause them to randomly rank, and thereby avoid the
penalty.  In fact, an argument can be made that this is true even
counting with margins, but the effect is minimized.

So, if people are better off believing that ranked ballots are not
allowed, why not just ban partial rankings?  I mean, rather than allow
partial rankings, but covertly penalize them, why not just be up front
about it and say they aren't allowed? Is it because you're hoping to
fool people who are trying to use strategy themselves?

BTW, I expect that Mike will have something to say about this issue, as
is his right.  I've argued this point with Mike before, however, so I
don't intend to reply to him unless someone else indicates that they
would like to see a rebuttal for a particular argument.

---
Blake Cretney