[EM] Finding the probable best candidate?

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 20 13:18:10 PST 2002

Dear Adam,

you wrote (20 Feb 2002):
> Finally, let me add that I don't think Ranked Pairs is the best tie-breaker
> either... I think Mike's Shwartz Sequential Dropping is better.  The only
> differences as far as I can tell are that
> 1) You only deal with the Smith Set
> 2) You consider number of voters in favor of the defeat, not the margin of
> the defeat.

I don't understand this paragraph. Do you want to say that the difference
between RP and SSD is that the latter one meets the Smith criterion and
measures the strength of a pairwise defeat by the number of voters in favor?

You wrote (20 Feb 2002):
> Months before I joined this list, I corresponded briefly with Mike Ossipoff
> and Russ Paielli about examples I had cooked up that seemed to create problems
> for Condorcet.  At the time, I did not realize the distinction between Ranked
> Pairs and SSD, and some of my seemigly undesireable results hinged on this.

Could you post those examples where RP and not SSD produces those "seemingly
undesirable results"?

Markus Schulze