CSSE = Simmons' Method ?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Feb 18 20:52:39 PST 2002

Correction: Borda Seeded Bubble Sort does not satisfy the Reverse Symmetry
Criterion.

It can be fixed by just Bubble sorting down to the lowest seeded
candidate with above average Borda count.

The winner would still be a member of the Smith set, so it would still
satisfy the Condorcet Criterion and have the other mentioned advantages.

I want to emphasize that I don't believe in pure preference ballots for
public elections.  This method is mainly to show how to improve Borda in a
way that competes with Black in utility while reducing the potential for
manipulability somewhat.

Further sacrifice of utility buys increased resistance to manipulation if
the MinMax candidate is chosen.  Also sacrificed are Reverse Symmetry and
Smith set property, although the Condorcet Criterion is retained.

It seems that there has to be a utility/manipulability trade off.

Forest