[EM] To Blake, re: strategy

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 11 03:21:35 PST 2002

Dear Mike,

you wrote (10 Feb 2002):
> By the way, I didn't say that I despise the journal authors on
> voting systems. They live in a world of their own, seemingly quite
> out of touch with the concerns and interest of voters. Why despise
> them for that? That's purely their business.

You also quote journal authors very frequently (e.g. Weber, Merrill,
Myerson).

You wrote (10 Feb 2002):
> It's just that when you & Markus invoke them, I like to remind you
> that it's better to judge positions and arguments on these issues
> on their own merits, than to say that a certain position is right
> because someone says so.

Of course, when I say that Nurmi and Bartholdi say that the more
summable an election method is the more manipulable it is, then this
doesn't mean that I say that this position is right simply because
they say so. However, you consider it so obvious that summability
was desirable that you can only despise those who disagree with you.

Markus Schulze