Approval Voting in Action?

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Sat Feb 9 21:54:31 PST 2002

>> From: DEMOREP1 at aol.com
>> Subject: RE: Approval Voting in Action?

>> asimmons at krl.org wrote-

>> Why settle for a majority?  Use Unanimous Instant Runoff
>> Voting.  With ordinary IRV, we stop the vote counting with
>> the round that gives one candidate a majority, while in UIRV,
>> rounds continue until all candidates but one have been
>> eliminated.  That candidate is the winner, and not only the
>> winner, but the unanimous winner

>> ---
>> D- Looks like the so-called *elections* in the defunct
>> 1917-1991 U.S.S.R. or the latest election in Iraq. !!!!
>> ???  That is- tyranny elections.

Actually, UIRV just gives the same result as IRV.

Once an artificial majority has been created, and the winner
selected, further rounds simply eliminate everyone else.  The
only difference between IRV and UIRV is that IRV generates an
artificial majority, while UIRV generates artificial
unanimity.  Perfect for anyone who thinks that the majority
created by IRV is a great feature.

P.S.  To avoid attracting spam, could you refrain from
quoting email addresses?  While Yahoo supposedly hides them
when displaying messages from the archives, which is
available to the public, it's best not to depend on a feature
like that when there's no need to, and there's no point in
putting email addresses into messages.