[EM] IRV in WA state

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:32:05 PST 2002

How far along is the WA IRV proposal? Has it made the ballot yet?

As I understand it, there's an Alaska IRV proposal that has made
the ballot, and which will be voted on as a state initiative this
year. I don't know what month.

I've meant to find out the e-mail addresses of the opponents of the
Alaska proposal, in order to send them information about why
IRV isn't the single-winner reform that they want. Maybe call the
Alaska Secretary of State's office, to find out who are the opponents
to contact.

It seems to me that the Alaska Republicans are the proponents, and
that the Alaska Democrats are opponents.

I've been inexcusably lazy about fighting IRV proposals, even in
the California LWV. But I intend to find out whom to send IRV
information to in Alaska, and then send it to them, so that they'll
have better information to use for the "anti-" argument in the
ballot booklet, and in the campaign.

Yes, I hope others will do that too. If the WA proposal isn't as
far along as the Alaska proposal, then maybe Alaska is the greatest
immediate concern.

Does anyone know of other IRVie proposals around the country that
need to be dealt with now?

The IRVies are so numerous and busy that they're like an ant-invasion.
But maybe if enough of us are working on it, we can stop them around
the country.

Mike Ossipoff