[EM] 02/04/02 - Approval is only for Beauty Contests:

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Feb 4 20:03:41 PST 2002

Perhaps it was best to let Mark's flippant response to your flippant post
stand alone, but I'd like you o try to respond in a more substantive
fashion.  I've seen you post (and copy) informative material when speaking
on the subject of multi-winner elections.  But so far your posts on the
subject of single winner elections have essentially consisted of talking
down to those who support methods other than IRV.

You say IRV is better than approval, moreover, that approval is essentially
good for nothing.  If you please, give an example of an election where
approval will fail to produce a fair result.  Or show some other strategic
pitfall of approval voting.  While you're at it, you could respond to my
expressed concerns about IRV in the detailed example I gave before.

-Adam