[EM] Markus & Manipulability

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:25:12 PST 2002

As a citizen and voter, I don't want the election method to give gratuitous
incentive to CAMPAIGN strategies which aim to confuse and entrap voters,
e.g. thru introduction of incontestable fallacious poll data or of extra
clones (pro or maybe con a given position).

But I do have a VOTING strategy.  My strategy has me vote (or abstain) so as
to maximize my expected overall satisfaction - call it 'utility'.
Ingredients which enter into this utility include:  how, apparently, my vote
would most likely (or thereafter profitably) make a difference in picking
the winner (instrumental effect);  how my vote would most likely (or
profitably) bear weight as an expression of sentiment;  my costs in time and
money to go and cast the vote; my regret and losses in self- or others'
respect from not voting or from voting 'insincerely'; etc.

I not only have a VOTING strategy:  I am in fact ENTITLED to conceive and
have and use such a strategy.  Indeed I DEMAND that the election method give
me scope for effective strategy.  (A decent respect for democracy requires
me to concede the same rights to other voters too.)

As Mike pointed out, most of us - including me - have been energized into
election reform because we resent being often forced to trade off two quite
reasonable strategic goals: defensive - to defeat the worst alternative; and
affirmative - to support our favorite.  We know that this tragic trade-off
is largely avoidable, through use of another method such as Approval in
place of the prevalent Lone-Mark.

It's bad enough being hobbled in the kind of strategy I can use.  What's
worse, though, is to be berated for - or prevented from - effectively
strategizing at all.

A totally non-'manipulable' (by me as voter) election - e.g., one where my
choice has minimal effect (whether on account of someone else's prior
choices, or gratuitous randomization, or a combination) - is of course of no
civic interest or benefit to me.

I must heartily second what Forest wrote so eloquently earlier today:

'... Nurmi and Bartholdi are worried about voters "manipulating" the system
to increase their expected utilities, i.e. to vote in their own best
interest, as though voters' utilities had nothing to do with social utility.

'It is the prerogative of the voter to maximize their own utilities,
whether anybody else thinks they have social value or not. That's
democracy. We don't try to use voting methods to protect the public
against the public will. We use voting methods to ascertain the public
will.

'A more realistic worry is pollsters and pundits manipulating the voters by
fooling them into voting against their own best interest. The more
complicated the strategy and the more sensitive good strategy is to
information ...the easier the "experts" can manipulate the vote of the
gullible voter.'

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach, CA USA