[EM] Book- Evaluation and Optimization of Electoral Systems

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:45:32 PST 2002

Several months ago a posting of mine noted and briefly critiqued this book.
For brevity, I called it 'The Italian Job' (IJ).

IJ's approaches to taxonomy of electoral system are formalistic and
unwieldy, but not really systematic - a real disappointment, given the
book's professional math society sponsorship.

IJ's agreeably thorough discussion of apportionment methods aptly treats
them as solutions to an 'optimal' allocation problem, with  different
methods corresponding to different criteria of optimality.  (However, one
would expect optimality criteria to be related to and even derived from
notions of 'utility'.  Maybe I had a case of dyslexia, but I couldn't find
any such relationship mentioned, let alone exploited.)

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach, CA USA