[EM] 02/28/02 - Successive Quota Surpluses for STV and IRVing:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Thu Feb 28 07:27:25 PST 2002

02/28/02 - Successive Quota Surpluses for STV and IRVing:

Dear Tom Ruen,

Back on the 26th of January, when I answered your post about `vote
splitting', there was another solution that I had forgotten about.  That
solution goes by the title of: Successive Quota Surpluses for STV.

The method uses a different math to decide which candidate is to be
eliminated.  It uses a form of STV with a different quota.  The quota is
not based on the number of seats, it is based on the number of remaining
candidates as follows:

                Total Voters less any Exhausted Ballots
Quota equals:  -----------------------------------------   plus one
                          Remaining Candidates

The method starts with the quota equal to total votes divided by all the
candidates, then one is added.  The surplus votes are transferred and the
lowest candidate is eliminated from the original data.  A new quota is
calculated and again surplus votes are transferred and again the lowest
candidate is eliminated from the original data less the first candidate
eliminated, etc, etc, until the remaining candidates equals the number of
seats.

This method can also be used for IRVing.

I don't know when you first joined the STV list, but back in Dec of 2001,
this method was discussed.  I copy two of the posts below to bring you up
to speed.

You will notice that Steve Todd  claims that: "This is not a good way to
elect a committee, council, legislature, etc...", but he gave no reason nor
proof except to make a pitch for his Meek-STV.  Until a valid reason or
proof comes forward, I feel we are free to consider this method in both
Preference Voting/STV and IRVing.

Regards, Donald