[EM] Ordinal vs Cardinal Ballots

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 07:54:54 PST 2002

Can somebody explain to me why, if we want to measure the strength of a voter's
preferences, we should not use a cardinal ballot, rather than an ordinal one?
My guess is that cardinal ballots are too manipulatable. Is that it?

SB

=====
"Democracy"?:
	http://www1.umn.edu/irp/images/postcardAd2.jpg
AR-NewsWI, a news service for Wisconsin animal advocates:
Favorite Quote:
	"They talk about this thing in the head; what do they call it? ["Intellect," whispered somebody nearby.] That's it. What's that got to do with women's rights or Negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint and yours hold a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half-measure full?"
--Sojourner Truth